Adding to our extensive list of guidance, we have now produced a new resource that includes everything you need to know about VPNs. Over the last few years, VPNs have grown in popularity, offering a variety of new features towards a user’s internet experience. Some of these include providing anonymity to the user, cyber-security and data protection features as well as allowing work data and files to be accessed securely. With so many options available for VPNs, we take a look at the top five things you need to be aware of:
VPNs – Top Five Things to Remember
- VPNs provide online anonymity – A lot of VPNs prevent the user’s location from being monitored which can also keep their online activity encrypted and private. Some VPNs allow users to set their location, allowing them to access content such as films and other types of media that is only available in certain parts of the world.
- Some VPNs can offer cyber-security and data protection benefit – As a VPN essentially encrypts your online activity, it can support against protecting against common cyber-attacks and security threats. Many businesses use them to help keep data more secure and to allow their staff to access secure files.
- VPNs can sometimes bypass other security filters - Due to online activity being hidden from your internet service provider, this process can also bypass other security filters you have in place such as parental controls you may have already set up for the household.
- Potential for more harmful content to be exposed – Due to the Internet Service Provider’s security features being bypassed with a VPN in place, the potential for more harmful content to be exposed to the family is increased. Some VPNs allow you to flag certain sites where the VPN is inactive but usually requires manually inputting what they are.
- There are a lot of options for VPNs – Due to the increased popularity, there are many options available for what VPN to use. They often range in price and what features they provide can vary. It is important to research the quality and trustworthiness of a VPN before it is brought.
Everything You Need to Know About VPNs
Looking at VPNs from a variety of different angles, our latest resource looks at how safe they are, as well as test to see what they can provide in terms of online safety and protection from harmful content. We also break down the advantages and disadvantages there are around using them. The resource is broken down into:
- What is a VPN?
- Why Do People Use VPN’s?
- Are VPN’s Safe?
- How to Test VPN’s
- Do VPN’s Filter Harmful Content?
- Do I Need a VPN?
- What VPN Should I Use?
- Advantages of Using VPN’s
- Disadvantages of Using VPN’s
- Final Considerations
VPN’s are used by a lot of people and are quickly growing in popularity. If you are thinking of incorporating a VPN as part of your internet connection, make sure you know what they provide and what features may have an impact on other areas of your online experience. You can look at the information for free right here: